SAFED: Safe & Fuel Efficient Driving
Fuel Saving Tips
We are well aware companies need to save money wherever possible. When we talk about commercial vehicles, we all know that they use very large amounts of fuel. In many cases, fuel can be the largest bill that hits your desk. Through being trained to drive with this in mind and reduce gear changes, we can squeeze more miles out of a tank of fuel and decrease costs to the company in fuel expenses and maintenance while, at the same time, being green.
After SAFED Training (a government scheme concerning fuel efficiency)
- HGV firms saw a 10% improvement in MPG and a 36.9% reduction in gear changes
- Aggregates saw a 12.45% improvement in MPG and a 32% reduction in gear changes
- Bus and Coach firms saw a 12% improvement in MPG and a 40% reduction in gear changes
Figures based on 6100 drivers from the SAFED pilot in the demonstration and transition phases of the program.
Sigma can carry out Fuel Efficiency and Safe and Fuel Efficient Driving (SAFED) training:
- Classroom‐based training– Candidates will be taught in a classroom based setting going through how to save fuel and be the most efficient driver .
- Practical training– Sigma can use the driver’s own vehicle. This can be much more beneficial and even offers on‐the‐job training allowing the drivers to continue working for the company and reducing downtime.
What is Defensive Driving?
Defensive Driving is described as driving to save lives, time and money, in spite of the conditions around you and the actions of others. It is a form of training for drivers that goes beyond the mastery of normal rules of the road and basic mechanics.
BE SAFE – EMPLOY SAFER DRIVERS
The aim is to reduce the risk of driving by anticipating dangerous situations, despite adverse conditions or the mistake of others. This can be achieved through the adherence to a variety of general rules, as well as the practice of specific driving techniques.
|Duration:||1 day (7hrs Driver CPC)|
The SAFED for HGVs programme is designed for vehicles specifically above 7.5 tonnes. HGV / LGV Vehicles between 3.5 and 7.5 tonnes are eligible for the SAFED for Vans programme which focuses on training drivers of LCVs (Light Commercial Vehicles).
What does Fuel Efficiency (SAFED) training involve?
SAFED driver training consists of a one day training course and can count for 7 hours towards the Driver CPC.
The programme, which includes practical assessments and theory papers, is based around the following main themes:
- Accident prevention and reduction.
- Fuel efficient driving.
Our SAFED-approved instructor will assess your driving performance before and after training. Driving sessions will be used to put the safe and fuel efficient driving techniques into practice.
Get in touch for more information about the Fuel Efficiency (SAFED) training courses we provide
If you have any queries, please do not hesitate to Contact Us.